Thursday, August 21, 2008

Service With a Bow

So far, it seems that things are quite a bit more formal and polite over here than in the States. Just a small example: in Tokyo, when several VIPs were on stage and giving speeches, hotel staff crouched behind their chairs and pulled them out/pushed them in each time the speaker got up. Seemed a bit elaborate and unnecessary, but I bet the VIPs felt like royal persons instead of just very important persons.

The other night I also felt a bit like royalty, or at least like a minor superstar. I was roaming around a nearby department store looking for the exit as it was closing time. All the employees were standing at attention and each one I passed bowed to me and either said "Welcome" or "Can I help you?" in Japanese (I couldn't quite catch which). Personally, I think that in their heads it sounded more like, "Why is that stupid foreigner here? Doesn't she realize that it's closing time and we want to go home?!?" Luckily, I can't read minds. Even if I could, I don't understand much Japanese, so I'd still be oblivious. Even when it's not closing time, whenever a store clerk sees a customer come in their store they ask if they can help (usually leaving out the bow though). They always thank you as you make a purchase and then when you leave too, even if you haven't purchased anything.

We went to an izakaya (restaurant that also serves beer) a while back to celebrate making it through our first week in Kanazawa. When we arrived, ALL of the employees excitedly shouted, "Welcome! Party of six is here! Woo hoo!" only in Japanese. As we were leaving, they all shouted, "Arigatou gozaimasu!!!" (Thank you very much!!!). They thanked us even though one of our party accidentally knocked down a sliding door...

Super duper politeness is definitely the rule here. Although it can feel a bit overdone when you're thanked six different times during your purchase of a soda, so far I'm really liking the appreciation. Who doesn't enjoy feeling like a superstar whenever you're out and about?!

No comments: