Friday, August 8, 2008

Everything on a Stick...

Yakitori is now one of my favorite Japanese foods. For dinner last night, I headed to a yakitori restaurant, where almost everything you could order came on a stick. It was just like being at the Minnesota State Fair! There was beef on a stick, beef tongue on a stick, tripe on a stick, chicken or pork on a stick, chicken skin on a stick, okra on a stick, shitake mushrooms on a stick, cucumbers on a stick, even fried egg on a stick! I'm totally going to order the egg next time because I just don't understand how it could possibly work... I think they had dessert on a stick too, but nothing to compare to those yummy fried candy bars at the fair. Tempura on a stick was available, but that's just not quite the same thing.

Anyway, the kitchen is located in the middle of the restaurant and surrounded by counters that people sit at. There's a large flaming grill in the middle that a chef is constantly moving skewers of meat, etc. around on until they get placed on a metal tray in front of you for your eating pleasure. You also get a sauce to dip the skewers in that I kind of wanted to straight up drink. Mustard is also provided if you like that sort of thing. We also ordered these tasty triangular cakes of rice that were grilled on both sides. Somehow it's so much better than plain rice, even though it's just plain rice!

Two thumbs up for yakitori! Also, just in case you weren't counting, "on a stick" appeared in this post 12 different times (13 if you count the title). I'm sure that wasn't the least bit annoying. Just be glad that I stopped there because I really wanted to keep going...

3 comments:

Willa said...

Buen provecho! How do you say that in Japanese? Is there an equivalent expression?

Unknown said...

I say YES to shitakes on a stick.

Jacks said...

Hmm... I'm not sure how equivalent it is, but if you're eating with others people say "itadakimasu" prior to starting. Afterwards you can say "gochisosama deshita" to show appreciation of the food and hospitality.