Sunday, August 3, 2008

Arrival in Japan

Konnichiwa! I apologize for taking so long to get this blog started. As such, there's a backlog of stuff I want to share so the first few postings may get a bit long. Sorry. Okay, to get started, on Friday, 7/25, my parents drove me to Chicago for an afternoon of orientation before I flew out. That night we were planning on going to downtown to do something fun and touristy. Instead, we spent all evening in the hotel room while I frantically repacked, weighing my suitcases on a scale we picked up from Target that night. Sorry Mom and Dad! The scale stated that my suitcases were way too heavy so I managed to throw out about 20 lbs. worth of stuff. Turns out, the scale lied to me. Now, I need to go shopping for some items I got rid of in a panic. Like my flip flops. Now, you'd think I would have kept those because, really, how much do flip flops weigh? Sigh... The only sandals I have now are my new Chacos which are rubbing my feet and causing some really nice sores. I thought these things were supposed to be super comfy! More lies!

Anyway, on to packing error #2. So, I have just been using my cell phone for a watch and alarm clock for months and months. Of course, although I knew my cell would no longer work here (oh yeah, don't try to call me at my old number - service has been cancelled now) somehow my brain didn't register that I would no longer have a means to tell time. Mom tried to offer me her watch before I left, but I didn't catch on. Luckily, my roomie in Tokyo had an alarm clock that she carried around with her as she was in the same boat. Once I made it to Kanazawa and couldn't rely on her anymore, I bought an alarm clock to carry around too, which helped me catch my bus to school on Friday. Unfortunately, I can't read any of the buttons or directions, so although I managed to set it, I couldn't figure out how to make it stop beeping and had to take out the batteries. Luckily, I got a new cell phone (keitai) yesterday so I'll just use that from now on. As a side note, it took about 3 hours to get the cellphone and that was with someone interpreting. I have to keep chanting "low goals" to myself.

Back to Tokyo... After a 12 hour flight and losing a day, we arrived in Tokyo on Sunday afternoon. Our hotel was super nice, which was good as we spent most of our 2 1/2 or so days in Tokyo listening to speeches and going to workshops in the hotel. We did make it out to explore a bit in the evenings though. Some cool Tokyo sights: the features of the
toilet in our hotel room, my first meal which I chose from a display of plastic food and then ordered through what looked like a vending machine, some crazy game parlors that had strange prizes like metabolic guages and food items in the claw machines. (Sara - I wish you would have been there to win me something using your mad claw skills!) On Monday night I went out to dinner with all of the new JETs in the Ishikawa prefecture (a prefecture is kind of like a state and Ishikawa is where Kanazawa is located). Everybody seems really nice and it was a good bonding activity. Plus, it gave us the chance to see more of the city. I totally want to go back to Tokyo soon - there's so much to see there!

9 comments:

joel said...

Hooray! Welcome to the internet, jax...

Oh, and all your flickr pics are "private" and i haven't been included, poor me.

Jacks said...

sorry. hope the picture thing is fixed now. let me know if it's not. i'm not so good with the internet.

saradgoldberg said...

I'm sending all my mad klaw karma your way and a big hug too!

Anonymous said...

Yea Jackie! We'll be watching your blog for updates on your adventures!

Willa said...

If Arnoldo had flip flops I am sure he would send them to you! I can't see your pictures either....

Miss you!

Lisa Eganhouse said...

Hey Jack-o,

Such adventures already huh??!?!? I will be keeping an eye on you!
Love ya,
Lisa

Unknown said...

I'm glad you started this, Jackie. Loved the first post - I can feel your pain across the ocean. Being in a different country seems like such a challenge..but relish it, it's not the WF! XXOO

Jacks said...

Okay, I hope I really fixed the picture links this time...

-David said...

Jackie! Please friend me on Flickr, I can't see your photos. and I want to see your photos.
I'm wrecks_manning on Flickr.

Thanks a lot!

sounds like a good time so far!