I was scared to ride my bike for quite some time after I arrived. I’m not much of a bike rider as it is and the crazy traffic and busy sidewalks here were daunting. Bicyclists are supposed to ride on the sidewalk here, not the street, and there doesn’t seem to be any rules about what side of the sidewalk to use. Pedestrians are really bad about moving out of the way. You’re supposed to ding your bicycle bell notifying them you’re behind them but many times they’ll just ignore it. My favorite is when there is a group of people taking up a whole sidewalk and they’re staring right at you but don’t move. Of course, even if they do move, you never know if they’re going to go to the right or left.
Cars are another big biking hazard. Drivers are bad about looking to see if there’s a bike before pulling out of the narrow streets or turning. I’ve been told that drivers in Ishikawa are famous in other prefectures for their terrible driving. They might even be worse than Illinois drivers! My co-worker Patricia has been hit by a car on her bike three different times and had to go to the hospital once. Many other JETs have also been hit by cars. Helmets are definitely a good idea!
I’m getting more and more confident riding my bike though and am really glad to have it. It makes getting around town really convenient and I do love that covered basket! I often have the Wicked Witch tune going through my head as I zip around on my bike with the wind in my hair… um… did I just type that out loud?
3 comments:
Glad it was your bag getting caught in the door! I just bought a bike, it's really fast...I'm afraid of biking too, but want to bike to RSVL. I have to admit, your stories aren't helping.
I meant to say, 'your bag and not a body part'!
You'll be fine! Nina biked to RSVL quite a bit without incident. I'm jealous of your new bike.
Post a Comment