Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ahh...choo!!

Another milestone - I've officially gotten my first cold in Japan. So far symptoms include a headache, sore throat, burning, watery eyes and slightly runny nose. I know how much everyone loves it when people talk about their illnesses, so I'll try to keep you updated as it progresses! It must have looked like I was about to cry in class today as it really hit me right toward the end. My teacher was concerned I was upset at the way class had gone. I was a bit as the students in this class are always terrors - throwing things, talking to each other and ignoring us, running around the room (generally being disruptive) but I assured him it was just the onset of a cold.


You'll be relieved to know that there's been no sneezing yet, but oddly enough, one of the hardest things to get used to in Japan relates to sneezing. No one ever says anything after someone else sneezes. There's no "bless you" or "gesundheit" followed by a "thanks" or "excuse me". A sneeze goes virtually unnoticed. I didn't know how ingrained it was in me to say "gesundheit" until I came here. I have the hardest time holding my tongue. I'm thinking it would probably embarrass the sneezer if I brought it up so I just try to say it internally.


People also wear little white hospital masks when they're sick. It's really funny to see people out and about shopping, riding their bikes, conversing on the train, etc. while half their face is covered with a white mask. They'll wear the silly-looking mask (no offense to those of you in the medical field - they look distinguished on you) but when they aren't wearing one, they won't cover their mouths when they cough. Puzzling... I'm not going to get a mask.


I've come up with several theories as to why I got a cold, but I'll limit myself so you don't get too bored. Here are the Top 5 Reasons Jackie Might Have Gotten Sick:

5) I have a hard time getting myself to bed at a decent hour and can't nap (nothing new there) so never quite get the optimal amount of sleep to keep my defenses up.
4) The seasons are changing. It's still warm with a cool breeze during the day (perfect) but it gets chilly at night now.
3) I went to Osaka with Ali-who-had-a-cold this past weekend.
2) In Osaka we stayed out dancing until the trains restarted in the morning. We left the club around 6am but then wandered around in the rain searching for the right train station for about half an hour. We got about four hours of sleep, then spent the day exploring in the windy city (it actually reminded me a bit of Chicago, only much bigger).
1) A great amount of my time is spent in the same environment as about 1000 middle schoolers. If that isn't a breeding ground for disease, I don't know what is!

Don't worry though! I'm drinking lots of fluids and taking a bunch of vitamin C. Others have said it should be a quick one, but if it lasts too long I'll brave the Japanese medical system. Now, it's a bit after nine p.m., so I'm going to attempt to sleep. Nighty-night!

1 comment:

Kent said...

Hey Jacks:

Your sneezing story made me recall that when I was in Japan (back in the days of the Samurai), people would say "o-daiji ni" when someone sneezed. Translation would be something like "take care [of it]". Try it out next time someone around you sneezes and let me know what happens. (p.s. This isn't a trick.)