Monday, March 23, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes



This week marks the end of the school year, so it’s time for big changes. I’ve had to say goodbye to my ninth graders as they are headed off for high school. We had graduation last Monday, March 16th. It was a sad day for me – I really enjoyed the ninth graders. Most of them were pretty funny and I liked talking with them. It’s been a tough few months for them though. They’ve had to study really hard for their high school entrance examinations. In order to get into high school, they must pass pretty tough exams. There are different exams for public high schools versus private high schools. Most try and get into public high schools as they are usually higher level and less expensive, but of course, the tests are also more difficult. High school is not compulsory here, so a few students won’t even go on to high school, either because they couldn’t pass the test or their score wasn’t high enough to get into an affordable school. It’s a lot of pressure on the kids and they’ve been pretty nervous about it. The results for some of the examinations weren’t posted until after graduation, so on graduation day, many students didn’t even know what high school they were going to yet. The results were posted on Wednesday, March 18th, so many ninth graders came back to school to see the results board and get congratulated by their teachers. I was happy to hear that the students at my main school did much better than the teachers expected them to!












I’m also going to have to say goodbye to several teachers. Each spring, the board of education randomly transfers tons of teachers to different schools throughout the prefecture. Teachers never know if they are going to be transferred or not, they don’t have a say as to where they are transferred, and they only have about 2 to 2 ½ weeks between the time they are notified and when they start the new school year at a new school. They just started getting notified last Thursday, and the new school year starts on April 7th. Some teachers still don’t know if they are staying or going. Apparently on March 25 or 26th, all the changes will be printed in the newspaper. From what I’ve heard, younger teachers are usually transferred every year, older teachers about every three to five years. The vice principals and principals are also transferred around.

None of the teachers (even the ones that are staying) know what grades they’ll be teaching or what club activities they’ll be in charge of until around April 1st, when the new teachers start. They could get assigned to the soccer club, for instance, even though they’ve never played soccer and don’t even know the rules. I was under the impression that the teachers that get to stay will keep on teaching the same grade, but apparently, they get shuffled too. It ends up being hard on everyone – there is a lot of uncertainty towards the end of the school year. The ones who go leave the co-workers and students they’ve gotten comfortable with for a new place, leaving the ones who stay with more work – reassigning classes, getting the new teachers used to everything, etc.

I just don’t understand it. It seems like a lot of extra work and headaches for everyone involved. I’ve been really nervous about it because I like all the English teachers I work with. I’ve been very lucky thus far – they are all easy to work with and their English is really good – unlike some of the teachers other ALTs have had. As of today, I’ve found out that my mountain school English teacher gets to stay, but one of two of my Monday teachers is going, and two (maybe 3) of the 5 English teachers at my main school must go. Then, of course, several other, non-English teachers must leave my schools too. I’m really sad about it because they’ve all been so nice to me and I feel like I’m just getting to know them. Hopefully, the teachers replacing them will be good, too, but who knows?

Spring vacation starts this Wednesday, 3/25. My sister Liz and friend Becky are coming to visit me, so I’ll be traveling around Japan with them for a week. I’ll be back in Kanazawa for the farewell party for the teachers at my main school on 3/30. Then I’m headed to Okinawa until 4/6 to enjoy the sand and sun! I’m really excited about vacation, but I’m nervous about all of the new faces there will be when school starts again on the 7th!

3 comments:

Kent said...

Hey there, Yacky Jackie...(I like that). Do my eyes deceive me--three long blog entries in a single month? I love your updates. Please keep it up!

I hope you had a good time in Okinawa. When you get back from vacation, I'm sure you'll get along fine with all your new fellow teachers. Don't underestimate your lovability!

Willa said...

Time may change me...

Who wouldn't adore you!?

Besos

Jacks said...

aw shucks, you two! i'm blushing!
miss talking with you!